Trick or Treat! (Part 1)

Hello, my pretties!! It's time again to start making those tasty treats for your Halloween get-together. Now for years my go to treat has been a decorated sugar cookie. I spend hours cutting and baking and then even longer mixing up different colors of frosting to decorate them with. And then about two weeks later, those cookies that haven't been given away are thrown in the trash. I had to figure out why. I tried to think back to all the times I made the cookies and my daughter and my husband did not eat them; every Halloween, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and Christmas that cookies were thrown away. Then it came to me. I make decorated sugar cookies for every holiday that we celebrate. Maybe they are sick of them and want something different.

So I did just that. For the past few years I have not made sugar cookies except for my niece and nephews who appreciate them! Now at my house, I make other treats. This year everything centered around cake, because I knew it would all have been eaten before two weeks were over.

I started with my basic yellow butter cake. I filled and covered it with vanilla buttercream that had been colored orange. I dyed more of the same buttercream black and piped on a spooky tree that has Happy Halloween in the branches. I then made a small dot border around the whole cake in black.

I thank you for reading and stay tuned for Trick or Treat (part 2)!

Comments